Head of Freight (Maternity cover)
Heroes is a technology-driven e-commerce company that acquires, operates, and scales small and medium-sized brands with category-winning products on global marketplaces. We focus on Amazon FBA brands with outstanding customer reviews and a proven track record of leading bestseller lists in high-growth niches.
Built by a team with a background in investment banking, venture capital and D2C eCommerce we have the right experience to build and grow outstanding brands on Amazon and beyond.
We have raised the largest European pre-seed investment round in 2020 from investors to the tune of $65 million. We’re growing rapidly month-on-month and expanding quickly. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a high-growth start-up.
Prefered start date: ASAP
We are looking for a Head of Logistics/Freight (Maternity cover) to join our fast-growing team to help manage our ever-growing portfolio of products effectively. Our products are predominantly manufactured in Asia and shipped to our warehouses in the UK, Europe and USA.
Some key responsibilities include:
- You will be fully in charge of shipping our products from our suppliers and manufacturers all the way to our warehouses in the destination countries
- You will leverage alternative methods of freight (i.e. air, rail, sea, truck) to reduce lead times and/or reduce costs
- Collaboration with the Sourcing Team:
- You will receive Goods Ready Dates for which you will ensure on-time pick-up and delivery of the freight forwarder
- You will request, evaluate, and select forwarders that meet our cost and lead time requirements while consistently evaluating their performance
- You will jointly evaluate potential improvement in shipping methods and container sizes in order to increase stock levels and meet our commercial forecast
- Collaboration with the Warehousing Team:
- You will ensure on a daily basis that the warehousing team is up-to-date on arrival dates of shipments to our warehouses
- Help identify and define optimal warehouse locations to reduce shipping costs and lead-times
Own tasks and responsibilities:
- You will be responsible for delivering against operational KPI’s and continually improve our lead times and make cost-effective decisions; you will support in defining and tracking forwarders’ KPIs
- You will build long-term partnerships with freight forwarders for major lines and continuously evaluate contracts for cost optimization with our main partners
- You will source and supply new Logistics partners who can scale with Heroes' ever-expanding portfolio of products and evaluate best practices to reduce costs and improve lead times
- You will ensure all our Logistics partners are performing against SLA’s and proactively track and solve any issues that may arise, while implementing best practices.
- You will ensure that we are always on time with our shipments across the brands and drive continuous improvement on shipping times and data accuracy
- You will be responsible for scaling up with the business needs as we are expanding in the UK, Europe, and USA and beyond
- You will ensure our shipments are customs cleared in a timely manner, correctly classified on the Harmonized Systems (HS); you stay updated on regulatory changes impacting the processing of our shipments
- You will stay up-to-date on global developments and trends in freight markets, international trade, and other events impacting freight and the transport of goods
- You have 5+ years of experience working in freight and logistics
- You have 1.5+ years of experience working as a Head of/ or Senior Manager Supply Chain/ Shipping/ Freight
- You have technical capabilities working with supply-chain software (e.g. ZenCargo, Flexport, Forto, Beacon); obsession with data and tech is the foundation of our operations. We thrive when we leverage technology to improve our operations;
- You have experience arranging, monitoring, and negotiating sea freight transportation between Asia and the rest of the world
- You have strong relationships with large freight forwarders and/or shipping lines serving Asia-Europe and Asia-North America lines
- You experience negotiating spot and long-term freight contracts; you have experience defining and negotiating SLA’s
- You will have a working knowledge of current shipping regulations and Brexit changes and challenges
- You have 2+ years of experience with customs clearance in the UK or EU. Experience in both is a plus
- You’ll be highly analytical and will be passionate & obsessive about continuous improvement; you have experience working with operational KPI’s and proven track record of performance improvement
- Previous experience working with Amazon is a plus, but it’s not essential
- You are excited at the opportunity to join a high-growth start-up, comfortable operating in an ever-changing environment and able to adapt and thrive in such a business
- Language requirements: English (must), German or Mandarin is a plus
Heroes is an equal opportunity employer and we are looking to build a diverse, inclusive team. We hire based purely on business need, skillset & competence and do not consider age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnerships when making hiring decisions.